Wednesday 11 February 2009

The Centenary Post

There's not been very much from this blogger for a few days. The simple reason for that is I've been busy. Plus, this is my 100th post to this blog and I wanted it to be special. How do I make it special when I've not got much time to make it so?

Perhaps I should just look at what I've got in this little blog. Look back whence it came and look forward to where we're going.

Looking back to when I started this blog and the reasons for doing so; I believed that there was so much opinion out there as to why pubs failed, mainly put out by CAMRA, that I had to say something. Equally I found mainstream hospitality publications to be focusing on the mass market style businesses. There seemed to me to be very little synergy with the small, privately owned pub. I hoped I could contribute something to the understanding of the difficulties the marginal pub is facing.

What I found in the beer blogging world is fantastic for me. I've found people who want to explore the real issues and in a friendly and interesting way. It seems to me to be something that is a little more connected to the real world than mainstream media. It makes me realise that this is the media of the future. A media that is is interactive and in touch with what real people think.

Unfortunately I have an inn to run. But fortunately this Inn is getting customers. Their needs are more immediate than this blog. But there are stimulating posts from other bloggers that deserve more than fleeting comments.

Meanwhile I have 4 eager brew apprentices, I expect asleep up stairs. Tomorrow, no, later today, we will brew some beer, or at least get wort in a fermenter and await the yeast's magic tricks. There might be an interesting future as some of this group are considering a possible brew future for their own humble inn.

5 comments:

Alistair Reece said...

Good news that you are busy! What are you planning to brew with your apprentices?

Tim said...

So how did the brew day go? What did you end up brewing?

Unknown said...

Sorry I didn't get back here. I've been busy.

We brewed "Tenacity" which happens to be the first beer I ever brewed here. After an absence of Tenacity from this pub for a while, we will now see a return.

The day went quite well I think. Some things went well, some things will be done better next time and James slept in until lunch due to heavy beer research the night before. But this was a belated birthday treat, so who can blame him? He did help dug out the spent grain.

I'm hoping the event might have spawned another brew pub - we'll see.

Tim said...

Sounds good Dave. Although I have done the lakes district thing before, and explored the interesting establishments that Whitehaven has to offer. (BTW spoons was the only place open on a Sat evening! oh and the people wheere glowing, well according to my Geiger counter anyway!) I am going to try and get up to your place for a weekend with the Mrs before I jet back to Sydney. I'll be in touch for a booking.

Unknown said...

Great Tim, it would be good to see you.

Only Wetherspoons open? What about The Whittington Cat? or Vagabond? or The Candlestick? John Paul Jones?.........